conker collecting
The first I heard of conkers was in a book by a Scottish author in which the children were playing a game of conkers. I had to look it up to see what it was. The next time I heard of conkers was on a scrapbook page that Chrissy posted. So, I think it might be particularly British, Irish or Scottish thing to collect conkers. I wonder if the closest thing to it in the USA would be what we call buckeyes. Maybe some people in the USA call it conkers and I just don’t know about it. Anyway, Mel, your page is a lovely fall page. The girls are so little!

Too cute! That photo is precious!! And I just scrapped a snow photo so I get it! Lol.

Unless we call them something different, I don't think I've ever heard of them, except on your pages -- lol! Going to go google them.

My dad used to tell stories about "playing conkers" with horse chestnuts when he was a kid in New York - so I have heard chestnuts called that before. The place where we go apple picking every fall has a huge chestnut tree and the ground is always covered with them.

We have a huge horse chestnut tree in our neighbors yard but I've never had a 'gifted from the birds' one spring up in my yard. We don't play conkers here but my eldest played when he was in Primary school in Harrogate.

Media information

Category
Team Gallery
Added by
Britgirl
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename